Thursday, July 17, 2008

Say It Ain't So!



These are the days that you dread as a fan of a sport. Scandal! And in the case of cycling, another doper is busted. You're killing me, Ricardo!


Every year, I hope we are past it. I keep thinking that it is going to be a good, clean race. And then a day like today comes along. Not that today was the first time the busted a cheater in this years tour, but they weren't big names. But today, a star fell to the ground.


I did not particularly like Ricardo Ricco. Some one labeled him "the most dangerous mouth in cycling". He really did need to take a talk drink of shut the hell up. But boy could he ride. He talked big, and he was backing it up. He rode an amazing Giro, and was close enough to winning to keep you on the edge of your seat. And his Tour de France stage 10 finish was a wild ride, even though he gave the win to his team mates. What a guy! Granted, a lot of other riders did not like him, to the point of helping any other rider regardless of team to beat him (just ask Contador), but he seemed to be a good team mate. No, I didn't really like Ricco, but I respected is riding. And I don't just say that because I was racking up a lot of points off him on my fantasy cycling team (yes, I am that much of a geek). Watching him attack up Hautacam almost makes you forget all his bad points. All but one, that is.


So now we see him led away by the authorities for testing positive for EPO use. I feel let down to the point that I am not even watching today's stage of the Tour. There is a part of me that thinks that I should wait to hear his side of it. After all, everyone has a side, right? I mean, you are talking to a guy that still believes in the innocence of Floyd Landis (ask me some day and I'll lay out my case for you). Could this be a case of problems with chain of custody or the lab? I think the telling thing for me is that his team management pulled the entire Saunier Duval team. Their reason was that Ricco was their main rider, and they did see a point in continuing. But I am not sure how I feel about that statement. Barloworld has lost several riders to injury and one, sadly, to doping. But they are still in the race, with something like four riders left. I have a sinking feeling that we are waiting for the other shoe to drop when it comes to Saunier Duval. But I hope I am wrong.


I know tomorrow I will be caught back up in the Tour. My guy, Christian Vandevelde is doing great, better than anybody thought (nothing superhuman, mind you, just in case you thought he might test positive for something). And I think he could win it! But I know that the stage finishes will continue to be exciting. But today I am just bummed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your disappointment. And happy belated Bastille Day!!

Hueina Su said...

Sorry to hear that your faved cyclist is, well, a human who makes mistakes just like us mere mortals. Hopefully something more exciting & positive has happened on the Tour since.